Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving in Phoenix

We just got back yesterday from a week long trip to Arizona for Thanksgiving. Since Spenser only had to miss a few days off work and it was time for a break from the wet weather here, it seemed like the perfect choice. We all enjoyed being able to spend time with family and of course the highlight of the trip for the kids was playing with cousins outside in grandma's backyard. 

The start to the trip wasn't exactly ideal. An hour before we were due to leave for the airport Spenser called me to say that he had gotten into a car accident and it was HIS fault! I didn't show my finest self in the response I made to this news, but after that I didn't say too much. I was only sad that his Christmas bonus would be going to pay his deductible instead of the in car DVD system that I was hoping to get installed. Never mind!

After collecting Thomas from school and placing the badly damaged car in the garage we drove down to the Portland airport. We were a little later leaving than we had hoped, but fortunately traffic was good and the plane also ended up being delayed. We then enjoyed a good flight to some warmer weather.

Some of the highlights of our trip were:


Enjoying a sunset walk with dad in the nearby desert.


Playing lots of pool on Grandpa's new pool table


Hanging with dad at Grandma's house


Feeding the birds at the park in warm sunny weather


Eating suckers at the park


Being together (I'm everyone's favorite!)


Getting to see the new Harry Potter movie with cousins

Visiting the Phoenix Children's Museum


Playing with lentils (did you know that they
can entertain a kid for HOURS quite literally!)


Making a pizza in the kitchen


Working in the grocery store


Running through the yellow noodles


Pretending to ride a bike


Serving ice cream 


Pretending to sleep in our fort


Riding through the 'car wash'


Being with siblings


Getting to ride on grandpa's real bike


Spending the evening climbing around with
Matt, Jen, Eliza, Jane, and Lucy
(Zach was very sad about having to leave that event)


We enjoyed a fun game of soccer on Thanksgiving Day


Mike and Devin helped Spenser grow a few inches


Olivia and Zach loved running around the pitch


Thomas scored the winning goal
(and the other two played pretty well too)


We were happy to have Clay, Jorden, Dusty and Bella arrive 
part way through the match to bring some fresh blood to the game


We got to spend time with Great Grandma and Grandpa Cammack


We got to eat yummy food


We got to eat Spenser's yummy peanut butter pie


And lots of other pies too!


All in all it was a pretty great Thanksgiving day


Of course no trip to Phoenix would be complete without a trip to Chino's


We had a great break filled with lots of fun. The only bummer for the kids was that we missed a snowstorm in Washington while we were away. They were sad that they didn't get to play in the snow. I wasn't! I was just glad that since they used a couple of snow days at school the kids only ended up missing one day instead of three. I'm sure there will be more of the white stuff to come. 

No comments: