We went on a Sunday afternoon walk/bike ride
Wearing a cap with the helmet is a necessity
Almost as big as Grandma!
When your legs get tired of pedaling you can always throw your bike on the stroller and hitch a ride with your baby brother.
We were lucky enough to catch up with a long lost friend. Rachie was flying out of Portland and since it's been around 3 years since I last saw my bestie it seemed silly not to make the 2 hour drive for a gourmet meal cooked by Chris. Of course we left late and I didn't pick up Sam's bottle or formula from the counter, but we made it.
Much to Thomas' amusement Grandpa slept most of the drive.
Some of the beautiful kids we had running around
as we tried to catch up.
I thought this was a little close, but I wasn't too
keen on the full length Chris took above either!
At the parade with Taylor
Military men
Waving the flag
It was a nice sunny morning
Cowgirls
Firemen
Sam wasn't a fan of the sirens. In fact they scared him quite a bit!
We came home and enjoyed a nice lunch outside on the deck, and then spent time making some food to take over to our neighborhood BBQ.
Flag cupcakes
There were all kinds of treats with a little fruit thrown in too.
My American girl
The kids talking over the fireworks
Getting out the poppers
The food and company were good.
After eating it was into the front yard for fireworks. I was a little more nervous about it this year since all of the kids were older and thought that they were capable enough of setting off anything they wanted. I got Spense over there to keep them all under control.
Dad showing Spense some pictures from the cruise.
Sam had a great spot to catch the show.
Olivia was a little less afraid of the fire this year
We also took grandma and grandpa camping. They think that staying in hotels is better (and I agree), but trying new things is always good. Mum wasn't expecting that we would be in the middle of the trees. They were good sports anyway.
Grandpa always seems to have some kind of
ailment whenever he is here.
While Spenser cleaned up dinner like the good husband that he is we took a walk down by the river.
Some of us didn't walk!
Cute brothers
Thomas of course managed to get his foot totally soaked. It always has to happen to him!
Sam fell asleep on the walk and that was the last we heard from him until morning.
Cooking up some smores and trying to keep the mosquitos away.
After packing up camp we went down and rode horses. Some of us went on the longer trail ride. Spense stayed with the younger kids and led them around.
Zach loves riding the horses and was sad that his
beloved Charlie is no longer around.
Thomas was kind of nervous for his first 'big' ride,
but he was a natural and had a great time.
Grandpa's horse Issy was a little fat and there were some problems
with her saddle staying straight, but he managed.
I even gave it a go too. I haven't been on a horse since I was 12.
It was then time to get changed and enjoy the beautiful day down at the slip and slide. I was glad that we had the rain canopy to keep us nice and shaded.
Even though it doesn't look like it, Sam thought the slip and slide was pretty fun.
He wasn't sure about the popsicle though!
Anything involving the sun and Grandma makes her happy.
Even grandpa and I who HATE cold water were
willing to give it a few tries.
This girl could have gone up and down all day
The boys decided that they wanted to take out a canoe before we left.
They unwisely went with grandpa!
Spense was smart and went alone
For our last event we decided to take some kayaks out at Tug boat Annie's.
Thomas and Grandpa were canoeing buddies
Zach was all excited
I got to ride with this sweet girl
Thomas quickly realized that grandpa would assume this position for most of the trip. He didn't like to do a whole lot of paddling and left most of it up to Thomas!
Zach's excitement soon turned to tears and frustration. I'm not sure what he thought he was going to be doing, but he quickly wanted to turn around an go back. I think that the sun was a little bright and warm for him and he complained constantly about how much Spenser was splashing him. We were all glad that we didn't have to hear him once it was all over.
Seeing a bunch of these guys was the best part for Olivia
Yes, there I am!
The views and weather were beautiful
Photographic evidence of grandpa's laziness!
Grandma had stayed home to watch Sam so while the others got a table for breakfast I went and picked them up, since mum is still too scared to drive after coming to the US for about 15 years!
We enjoyed a nice breakfast together and then had a relaxing day at home
Since Grandma and Grandpa are leaving tomorrow we subjected everyone to some quick photos before church.
Thanks for coming grandma and grandpa. We were able to do some fun things with you and it got our summer started just right. See you after Christmas!










1 comment:
So glad you updated your blog! Although seeing all those pictures of the summer activities made me really antsy for warm weather!
Post a Comment