Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Diamond Jubilee Celebrations



This weekend we joined with the rest of Great Britain and countries of the Commonwealth in celebrating 60 years of Queen Elizabeth II reign. I have thoroughly enjoyed staying up late every night catching up on all my DVR recordings from the day. Listening to Jerusalem, I Vow To Thee My Country, Land of Hope and Glory, and of course God Save The Queen still bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye. 

I have learned so much about the Queen too. I really have to say that she is a remarkable woman. She has conducted her life in such a way as to never bring anything but honor and respect to her position. She has never done anything that has not been for the good of those she leads. She has clung firmly to the traditions of the old and embraced all that is good of the new. I was also pleased to see that Great Britain is still a place where we can take a moment to have a Service of Thanksgiving and worship God. We can thank Him for His bounteous blessings and watchful care. Queen Elizabeth I salute you!


I decided that Sunday would be the day of our celebrations since I have a little more time to cook with Spense around. We pulled out the croquet set too and the kids enjoyed learning the rules. You can't get more proper than a good game of croquet. We only ended up with one injury when the neighborhood kids joined in later that night.




Spenser is always a good sport and embraces my traditions




We enjoyed a spot of 'afternoon tea'





There was a Union Jack cake


Patriotic cupcakes


'Tea' sandwiches, dipped strawberries, and scones
 complete with jam and clotted cream


We all dug in





 I also asked the kids to share their favorite memories of England. Thomas said that he loved being able to go to Windsor Castle last year, and of course fun at Drayton Manor and Thomas Land topped Olivia and Zach's list.


We paused for a few pictures in our Patriotic tees.



 

Last night we enjoyed our final Jubilee treats.


We enjoyed teacups of candy


(there was posing on the slide too)


There were also Knickerbocker glories, but sadly no flakes!


Happy Diamond Jubilee!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Your teacups are adorable! WE have been watching quite a bit of the jubilee celebration as well! I find it so interesting. I think it's great you celebrate!

Eric and Rozanne said...

I love that you celebrate your country's traditions and get your kids involved. What a great thing to pass down to your kids. You are so great at things like that. It all looks so proper! And, I love the t-shirts!