Sunday, February 15, 2009

The day after

I was a little sad that it was grandma who got to make pink heart shaped pancakes for the kids on Valentine's Day, so we planned ours a day later. Spense and I did get to have a nice day together in Portland though. I love it there. The downtown feels so small and manageable and I wouldn't have minded living in Oregon if I just didn't love the water in Seattle and lots of areas in Western Washington. We drove out to a great area of town with some of my favorite browsing shops (i.e Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware) where we ate lunch at Papa Haydn's. We were told that they just have the best desserts and so we decided that we'd give it a try. We enjoyed our sandwich, but I was disappointed with my desert choice. It's too bad that I managed to pick something I didn't really like out of the 40 or so desserts on their menu! I guess that we'll just have to go back.


Last night we cut out hearts to put on the kids doors. I had planned to hang them, but we had too many people sleeping in Thomas' room which would have made it too hard for them to tell which comment was for who. We wrote things that we love about them on the hearts. I love to make cupcakes with Olivia. She is so cute when she measures out the ingredients and you just know that she treasures that special time. I love that Thomas is always so good at reminding us to read scriptures and I love to hear how well he can read from them. The thing that I love about Zach right now is pretty much a given - I love that he's finally sleeping through the night! It was fun to take a moment to think about all the things that we truly do love about them and they will be good to keep as reminders to us of where they are right now, and how we do love them when they're not being quite so loveable!


Olivia's Door


The Boys Door
We tried to keep the number of comments about the
same. Equality is all that matters at this age.

The kids had fun reading the hearts when they woke up and they each got a little bag of candy and a book. Thomas thinks that books for holidays are a bit of a rip off. He thinks that he should always get a toy and so I have to remind him often that he's lucky to get anything at all!


Thomas and Jared surveying the hearts

As usual Zach just cared about the food!


Happy about his book!


Miss "Cheese" showing off her hearts

We had a fun Sunday. After church the kids played together and we sat around and chatted. It had started to rain after some great weather so we didn't want to venture out and everyone seemed happy enough to be inside. A great weekend was then made complete with the beginning of "The Amazing Race." I have a secret desire to be on the Amazing Race, but Spense is always telling me that we could never go on it because it would be so embarassing to let the nation see how much we would fight and argue. He's got a point there!

8 comments:

Susan said...

Those hearts are such a great idea! What a great way to show someone how much you love them. Now that is the REAL spirit of Valentine's Day. I am going to borrow your idea for next year. Hope you won't mind :)

Eric and Rozanne said...

I love your idea too, Nadia! That's a awesome way to emphasize the positive! I, like Susan, plan to steal it for next year. The kids love it when we do things where we go around and each person says something they like about them for FHE. I like to do books and heart pancakes for Valentines too. This year it wasn't too much of a surprise since the book fair was the night before. :)

Ford Family said...

That is such a nice idea- i am also going to copy it- I never thought of making Valentines day a big thing for the kids- but like you said it's a nice reminder of how much we do love them.

Spenser Cammack said...

I am very proud to be married to this woman. She way out does me.

Debs said...

Wow you go to town on valentines day over there!! What's the amazing race??

Hayley said...

How creative you are! xx

Emily said...

I would love to be on the Amazing Race too, but there's no way I could handle the driving! I can barely drive as it is!

I like all the cute decorations and gifts.

Is that the dessert you had?? It looks awfully good to me..

Brad said...

That is true Nadia. At least now there are excuses for looking this way! :)