Friday, November 6, 2009

Guy Fawkes


I had planned to celebrate Bonfire Night all day long yesterday. I put chili in the crock pot and cooked rice and corn bread. I made the caramel apples. But somehow it all went pear shaped. Spenser came home late from work. Zach had refused to take a nap and was a mess by dinner time. In fact, all the kids were a mess so they went to bed. Early.

I was sad that I had missed celebrating with the rest of my kind. I guess that it worried me sometimes that I will stop celebrating these events all together one day. I worry that will mean that I am no longer who I really am and who I once was. I guess that's why I try and cling to these things so tightly and want my kids to cling to them too. I want them to get the things that made me, well me.

So tonight before Spense and I left on a date, I made sure that we got outside and lit the sparklers that have been sitting in the garage since the 4th of July. I didn't remake my chili or throw the traditional Rasmussen cowboy stew in the pot. We made do with hot dogs and baked potatoes and life was good.

Hot dogs and sour cream smothered potatoes

There wasn't ever actually too much attached to his fork
but he certainly had fun playing with it

Zach thought that the sparklers which were much bigger than him were super fun. They were also super smokey and we were worried that the grumpy fireman who lives across the street would tell us off since we had to stand out under the porch to hide from the rain.

He was quite happy to be held closely at first

Then he just wanted to go at it alone and that was at times scary. He flung that thing a little too closely at all of us at some point during the evening.

I managed to get Olivia outside for a little while

but she felt more comfortable when she assumed a behind the glass position.

Thomas is always quite nervous handling burning things at first

then he had a great time.

After Spenser gave me my usual test as to how well I can still say the 'remember, remember' chant we went inside for caramel apples. I had also tried making caramel marshmallows like we had at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory with grandma and grandpa Rasmussen. Next time I think that I'll leave it to the professionals!

All of my M & M's fell to the bottom with the caramel.
I'll have to work on them next year.

Thomas came through for me and gave one a try
like the trusty son he is.

Olivia just preferred posing with a regular apple.

2 comments:

Deidre said...

Poor girl, I forgot about the fire. It looks like you successfully had more Halloween events than we did. Good job! Glad you got in at least part of the tradition.

Debs said...

I've enjoyed catching up on your new postings. You guys have been busy! I'm so impressed with the way you continue to keep up the English traditions Nad, and the attention to detail you give. You are quite the homemaker and a great example to me!