Friday, November 13, 2009

Two Today!

I can't really believe it, but Zach turned two today. I'm not sure whether it's that I can't believe that time has flown so quickly, or whether I am just amazed that he made it to two without us killing him first! We love him so very dearly, but two words would sum up this little man of ours strong minded. I know that I can't really complain too much because I don't have to look very far to see where he got that from. I still clearly remember his birth. The pain and panic from ending up at the emergency room dilated to an 8 and being told that you wouldn't be able to get an epidural are still fresh in my mind.

The day started off with the usual balloons and presents downstairs. Since Zach can't really request a birthday breakfast yet, I decided on pancakes and he seemed to enjoy them, asking for extra whipped cream as usual.

Birthday balloons


He then opened presents with the help of his trusty siblings. Thomas was complaining of a sore throat and after Spenser took a look he made the call. A day at home it was for him. I thought that he would have figured out that you do have to act sick for at least the first few hours, but he's clearly not skilled in the art of faking yet.

He loved his new Mack

The kids played around the house all morning. They had fun with Zach's new toys and he didn't always seem to like that too much.

As a birthday present to Zach (which we all benefitted from) we bought tickets to Disney on Ice. Before we left though, I did want to have some kind of cake and candles so I made up some cupcakes real quick that Spenser helped me to frost. We did have to make the birthday boy cry in the end though, when we wouldn't let him have his 6th cupcake to lick the frosting off.

McQueen cupcakes

Spenser managed to get the frosting a little runny!

Unsure

Cupcake sadness

We drove up to the Showare Center at 4:00 p.m and of course we were scrambling to be there at 7:30 p.m. Seattle traffic is always fun, and all the restaurants that we looked at for dinner were crowded. Luckily we happened upon a Panera for a quick pit stop and it was good that we didn't spend too long over dinner since the traffic into the Center was nasty. I ended up grabbing the kids and running in with them while Spenser parked the car.

We had a fun night together. Zach loved seeing Mickey and Minnie arrive with Goofy and Donald. We then had a fun "Cars" number and we got to see McQueen. Oh, Zach was in heaven! Cars was followed by The Little Mermaid, the Lion King, and Tinkerbell. The two boys had really had enough by the time Tinkerbell turned up, but Olivia was still going strong. I think this will probably be the last time that we bring Thomas since there was only so much Disney Princess that he could stomach.

The "mouse"

Watching the show
Olivia did manage to take her hands away


Everyone's favorite McQueen

This little girl was excited to see...

...this special princess

Rafiki from Lion King

Simba and Timon

A half time break

Tinkerbell

This is how Zach spent most of Tinkerbell

Olivia insisted on getting an Ariel toy.
Thomas was smart and agreed to go to TOY S RUS

As we walked out to the car together I felt so grateful for my little family. Each child has their own personality and challenges, but I am so glad that each of them was sent to our family. Even though Zach has been my most busy and determined child, he can also be a lot of fun when he's not crying about the injustice of not being able to have or do what he wants. He loves to laugh, and he loves to play with his cars. He also loves his brother and sister a whole bunch. He loves to take Thomas to school each morning and if his sister isn't awake he loves to go in and get her so that he can give his "La's" a big hug. We certainly are glad that he decided to join us, but as I always say, "If Heavenly Father had meant for us to have anymore he wouldn't have sent Zach yet!"

Happy 2nd Birthday Zach. We love you!

3 comments:

Debs said...

I love Zach - he's such a handsome little chap! Happy birthday Zach, looks like you had fun! What great cup cakes x x

Hayley said...

They were quite the cakes that you "whipped" up! Shame we missed the celebration!!! We love you Zach and are so glad to have you in our family xx

Ford Family said...

He sounds so similar to Thomas, my third. Tom is definately a character! He knows his own mind, and was a very difficult toddler! Just want to give you some hope- Tom is nearly 4 now, and in the last 6 months has changed into a completely different child. He will now sit quietly for ages colouring or doing a jigsaw, which I couldn't have imagined him doing at the start of the year. He is quite thoughtful and tries very hard, I think he is very clever, and is now only naughty when he is bored- like a lot of children! So just to let you know, they do grow out of it! By the way- Looks like a fab birthday, love the cakes!