I've never been one for shopping the weekly grocery ads, but recently Johanna started telling me how much money she's been saving on groceries. I asked her if she felt cheap when she handed her coupons over at the checkout, but she said that she just looks at the other people without their coupons and thinks of the money that she's saving. Who can't use to save some money? So, I thought that I would give it a go. One of my rules was that I wouldn't buy things that we usually don't eat just because they're on sale. That doesn't seem too cost effective. I also decided that I would only shop one other store in addition to my regular Fred Meyer, and since Albertsons has some great sales they have become that store.
I now look at the weekly grocery ads and use thekrazycouponlady.com who does all the work for you, and has a database of printable coupons. It does mean that you have to be a bit more organized and prepare a meal list ahead of time, but I love that it now means less trips to the store as well as more money in the bank.
I was telling Hayley about it and she laughed and called me cheap and then I told her about my week at Albertsons. I won her over instantly. It's just a shame that she's in England and gains no benefit from my recent discovery.
At Albertsons this week they had quaker products on sale 5 for $1 and a bunch of great coupons too.
This is what I got:
10 boxes cereal (life, Captain crunch, and Oatmeal Squares)
10 boxes instant oatmeal
2 bottles Suave body wash
1 bottle Simply Orange
2 boxes granola bars
3 jars Bertoli pasta sauce
2 jars Ragu pasta sauce
2 bottles salad dressing spritzers
2 bottles Can't Believe it's not Butter Spray
2 jars Skippy peanut butter
2 pkgs Keebler grasshopper cookies
1 pkg Wheatables
1 pkg Townhouse crackers
2 pkgs Orville popcorn
2 bottles soda
Cost: $52 (32 GBP)
Saved: $121 (76 GBP)
One of my favorite deals was this popcorn bargain.
You had to buy 1 pack of popcorn for $3.50 and got a
second box and two bottles of soda for free.
I would tell you all to give it a try!

4 comments:
Somewhat cheap - but as Tesco tell us "every little helps!" There's a reason the site is called crazycouponlady - because it's all craziness with crazy women!!! =)xx
Wish we lived in America- that's great! I love bargains!
I know a lot of people that do that now. I would love to save the money and add the better meal planning to my life. It's just a matter of the extra time and commitment to it. I might try it sometime soon.
Um Crap. My Mom is the ultimate coup-oner. It is impressive yet scary. I've been resisting for a lot of reasons (but not because I care if I'm cheap) so now I'm running out of excuses if I only have to go to one other store and not buy things I normally wouldn't. Geez, thanks Nadia!! I think.
Post a Comment