Saturday, May 7, 2011

Farewell Friend


Today we said goodbye to a dear friend. We have been looking to replace Spenser's car for a while, but weren't in any hurry since our other car will accommodate the new addition anyway. I happened to get online a couple of weeks ago just to see what was around and found a car that had everything that we had been looking for. Spenser went up that day to take a look and liked it, and after some negotiating we had a new car a couple of days later. Mum couldn't quite get over the fact that you could go into a dealership and then drive the car home with you the same day.

Clay and Jorden decided that they wanted to buy the car and flew up last night to take it back to Utah with them. I am kind of glad that it's going to stay in the family because we might end up seeing it again. I feel kind of silly that I was so sad about saying goodbye except that we got the car about a week before Thomas was born (and he thought it would be a good idea to keep it for the next 8 years so he could drive it!) It was the car that we bought our 1st and 2nd babies home in. I will always remember bringing Olivia home during one of the biggest snow storms in Ohio history. Spenser went to get the car and when he pulled up to the hospital entrance we found that Thomas had pooped everywhere and then Olivia threw up all over herself. As Spenser tried to change Thomas in the trunk of the car as the snow came down I remember thinking, "What have we done? How are we going to survive with these two kids?!" I'm glad to say that somehow we've managed.

This little car has also seen a fair amount of fun. There were road trips to Nauvoo, Palmyra, New York, and the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. There was also our trip out to Chicago to see England play the US in soccer. This was also the car that the kids would always take up to Sounders and Mariners games with dad too.

Sadly, our little car hasn't avoided having a few scrapes and bangs. There was the lady that backed into me in the Kroger parking lot in Ohio. She left the scene of the crime, but luckily someone was watching out for us and left me the car registration information. There was the nasty guy who backed into Spenser at Fred Meyer and his big crash last Thanksgiving when we thought the car might be a right off, and the latest rear ender after Christmas when Spense got hit on the freeway. The thing looks practically brand new after all it's paint jobs!


We have loved you little car. Have fun in pastures new!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Isn't it funny how we get attached to our cars? I remember when we had to turn our 4Runner in (we leased it) and Gabby actually cried. She was littler then, but still. Hope it enjoys its new home!

Deidre said...

I felt the same way about letting go of the Focus. I'm glad Clay and Jorden have that one too!