Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blackout


Tonight I got a little scared. Spenser was gone at study club and so I had to drag all of the kids out to drop Thomas off for scouts. We hadn't been back home for more than 10 minutes when the power suddenly went out for no apparent reason. I was glad that we were all upstairs together so I didn't have to go searching for anyone. We all held hands and walked downstairs to retrieve the flash light. I am glad that Spenser decided to hang it right next to the door in the garage. I then pulled out the other flash lights and emergency candles.

I was quite proud of how prepared I was, but I was still scared of being home alone in the dark. It's silly but it always makes me think of Patriot Games with Harrison Ford when Sean Bean (who plays a bad Irish guy whose brother Ford accidentally kills) finds him at their house on the lake and cuts the power so they don't see them coming to get the family. As the scene played through my mind I decided to find my cell phone and call Spenser. Again, I was glad that I've been using that a little more and keeping it charged since the kids are back in school otherwise I'm not sure where it would have been.

I picked Thomas up after managing to manually pull up the garage door barely enough to get the car out. When we got back home Spenser was there. I was happy to see him. We then pulled out the sleeping bags and made our beds up in the family room since their were others who were just as nervous as me about the dark and we wanted to be close to the fire if it got cold. Luckily, everything came back on a little over 3 hours later. It has taught me one thing though - this winter I will be prepared.

No comments: