Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

I always feel odd around the holidays. I am always a little sad that we don't have family around (and that our good friends do and so we don't have anyone real close to spend them with), but when I hear about the drama that being with family often creates I'm often glad that we don't live closer!


The day started off pretty well with kisses on the couch as we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I used this brief moment of calm to get started on the rolls.

Spenser went off to play football and decided to come home almost 3 hours later. I have never been the kind of woman to shrug off these moments of disregard for spouse (even when he limped into the house) and so I spent some time mumbling to myself with the occasional mumble at him as I finished dinner. I did finally decide not to ruin the whole day and so I laid the incident to rest (for the time being!)


The table was set


I did regret using the burlap at the end of the day though because the fibers went everywhere (and things like that aren't a friend to my dark wood floor)


The food was ready for eating and
the glasses were raised


Of course very little food was
consumed by anyone other than Spense and I

After a short fat dog I drove out to the movie theater with the 3 oldest kids. Sam needed to eat and Spenser was worried that we wouldn't get good seats if we all hung around. It was pouring it down of rain and the theater was dead when we arrived. I thought that maybe the rain had kept everyone away. In fact we were some of the first ones in there. Of course it quickly filled up and we all sat and enjoyed the new Muppet show. 

I sat in the isle seat and at one point during the show I looked across at everyone. There was the husband who drives me crazy a good deal of the time (and I know I drive him crazy too), but I love him dearly and couldn't imagine being with anyone else. Sleeping in his arms was my sweet baby boy who I often worried I would never get the chance to meet. He is such a good baby who loves to be held and smile right back at you. There was my sometimes lippy 9 year old who also is one of the most tender hearted kids I know. There was my emotional little girl eating candy and laughing. She can be hard to understand, but when I think about how much she has grown over the years I can hardly believe it. Right next to me was my headstrong 4 year old who is fiercely loyal to those he loves. As I thought about each one of them as cheesy as it sounds on Thanksgiving Day I realized just how blessed I am. The little things that pop up in life every now and then to challenge us really fade in comparison when you consider how much you really do have. 


After the movie we came home to pie. We had quite the offering considering there was only us to eat it, but I always like to have something for everyone. Zach had tried pumpkin pie at preschool this week and liked it so he got right down to business. He finished off with a little of the chocolate silk pie too.


Sam seemed to enjoy his first Thanksgiving. He slept and sat happily throughout the day, but sadly was only allowed some milk to drink (and not even the good cow kind either). He'll be able to indulge next year and I know that will go much quicker than we think. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Everything looks so beautiful! (But would be expect any less from Nadia?!) I have a thought...you would think that after 11 (?) years of marriage, Spense would have figured out that playing sport for 3 hours annoys Nadia. I have learn't that and I don't live with you! Tip for Spense, learn quicker! If only for an easier (and quieter) life! :)

Eric and Rozanne said...

Awww...what a perfect day! I remember the days of the Turkey Bowl on Thanksgiving morning. I am glad they haven't picked up on that here yet. I love your thoughts about your family at the end. What a beautiful post.

Deidre said...

Great updates, and three hours is sort of long for a football game. Sam is super cute. Can't believe Zach is 4. He was in the 18 month range last time we all saw him. And with the girl hair--I totally agree--I could not handle it with a girl I watched for three days! But O's hair is always very nice looking. :) Love to you guys!

Unknown said...

Beautiful table! We have the same curtains I think. Love it.