Friday, June 26, 2009

Cle Elum Camping

I know that I vowed after last summer's attempt at camping that we would never go again, but we decided that this weekend would be spent up at Ensign Ranch, a property owned by the church. We were especially eager to head up to the area since Spenser's family are all heading out this way at the end of July and we are having our family reunion up in this area. I helped to instigate the event and so I am feeling some pressure for it all to turn out OK. 

As could have been predicted we didn't leave as early as we had wanted. It was due to a work BBQ the night before which meant that we didn't get a whole lot of packing done last night, a morning hair cut, and a birthday party. In the end I just had to tell myself that I was going as fast as I could however frustrated I was and not let my bad attitude ruin what we hoped would be a fun trip. Our good friends the Reeds and Johnson's also came along with us and when we called them it was nice to know that they were running behind too, and we all actually ended up arriving within an hour or so of one another. 

When we arrived we found that the campsite we had been given was a little sketchy and although the Reeds had changed one of the sites once, we scooped out what looked good and sent Spense down to see if we could love yet again. Since they weren't very busy we moved down a little ways to a much bigger and flatter site. The only down side was that it was right next to the river and we couldn't stop Zach from noticing it when all the kids were throwing things in there from the bank. Within just 5 minutes of our arrival Sam managed to throw the whiffle ball bat into the river and I shouted to Spenser as it started to float away!  Luckily, it got caught in some trees not too far away and we were able to retrieve it for a very distraught Olivia. 

We pretty much just set up camp and started dinner. I was planning on cooking the hot dogs on the grill, but was told that the real way is to just stick in a fork and cook it over the open fire. I am glad that I have been officially initiated into real hot dog cooking.

Olivia and Sam had a lot of fun hiding out
in the tent from the boys

The view of the river. Can you see why we 
were scared about Zach?!

Zach and Olivia checking it out

Camping with my bestest friend!

Sitting around the campfire enjoying a hot dog

Delicious watermelon. Nothing says 
summer quite like that

Johanna and the Sadie lady

Christine even got crazy and made a desert in
the dutch oven. Jason gave her a hard time about 
the chocolate chips not being melted, but with
some whipped cream it really hit the spot

Sam and Christine. We could not get those
little girls to keep their shoes on

Time for smores. Spense, Zach and Taylor
roasting marshmallows. Now we had the
fire and the river that Zach could try and
hurt himself with!

Olivia is actually pretty scared of fire
so I ended up roasting her marshmallow

Yum, yum, smores

After some baseball Connor and Thomas decided
to roast their marshmallows

We pretty much spent the evening chatting, laughing, and watching the kids play baseball. Once it got dark we got the kids in bed. Zach actually did pretty well and just required some milk and me to lay with him for a while. All the adults (except Ryan) then crept out and we sat chatting until 1:00 a.m. We really are way too old to be doing that, but it was fun. 

No comments: