Since I felt like we didn't end up doing too much last summer we have lots of weekend trips planned until school gets back in session in September. Our first port of call this weekend was Portland. After we got all packed off we drove down to the zoo and arrived there are about 1:30 p.m.. It had been raining when we left home and rained most of our drive down, but as we parked the sun was shining and we were optimistic. We had to catch the shuttle into the zoo because the parking lot was full and as we drove away I knew that I would regret not having bought Spense and my coats with us. Surely enough after about 15 minutes of looking at animals the sky turned dark and we ran for cover as the rain came down hard. We stayed inside one of the sheds for about 10 minutes and finally decided that it was probably never going to stop and so once it wasn't raining quite so hard we made a go of it. We managed to keep the kids pretty well dry under the stroller canopy and they all had hoodies, it was just Spense and I who were pretty damp at the end of the day.
Our guide made sure that the map was
never too far away
Zach looking at the animals
Even in the rain he's surveying the map
Brothers at the zoo
We had fun looking at the animals. Zach thought that it was all very interesting and loved to 'talk' to them all. I think that he especially liked the wolf because it looks most like his favorite animal the dog. The B52's were preforming in concert at the zoo that night and so we were fortunate to hear them do a soundcheck. It definitely bought back some youth dance memories when we heard Loveshack!
The thumbuster clearly hasn't worked yet!
Riding the horse
The wolf
The cougar
Looking at the orangutang
The zebra
Pausing for an elephant ear snack
Outside the gift shop
Dad was sent in with a limit and of
course came out having exceeded it!
After we left the zoo we drove out to find something to eat to take back to the hotel with us. We were all pretty pooped as we ate our sandwiches and drank our Jamba Juice, but we did find enough energy to head down to the pool and swim.
Loving his goggles
Miss Olivia
Zach enjoyed hanging out on the step for
a little while. He loved jumping into my arms
once he felt more secure.
Since Friday night is movie night we all huddled up around the DVD player on the bed and fell asleep to the lively tale of Disney's Robin Hood. Zach did much better than I expected and easily snuggled up and fell asleep on the bed next to me.

4 comments:
Looks like you had a ton of fun! We love zoos! Can't wait until we get to come and visit. Counting down the days! I need to call you about a few things though. So I will talk with you soon!
Good job Zach. Keep up the good sleeping!
Nad, I've loved reading all of your new posts. Looks like you have been having lots of fun. Our summer is nearly over. We go back on 7th July!!! I hear you with Olivia. I feel like I am always looking after Oliver and I don't get time to help Annie-Mae and Clark properly. Things will change quickly though. I think we forget how quickly they become independent and we get out 2 hands back to help all of them instead of doing everything one handed! Anyway... rambling!!! Talk to you soon!
Thomas studying the map...priceless! xx
Post a Comment