Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Preschool Party


Today was Olivia's preschool party in celebration of the end of the year. Unfortunately, I was poorly prepared and hadn't left myself enough time to get Thomas off to school, make my bowtie salad, and get everyone else ready and so we arrived late. To make matters worse there was no gas in the car and Zach managed to somehow pour his whole bottle of milk over himself, so we had to dash back to the house to get him a change of clothing. Olivia also woke up with a really sore and partially closed eye and didn't seem like herself too much. The day really didn't get off to a good start! Despite these challenges Olivia seemed to have a fun time. She was a little hesitant to join in at first. I think it was because both of Miss Sandy's classes were there and she was a little overwhelmed. Having me as a mother who sometimes turns up late also does little to make her feel comfortable too. 

Dipping in the bubbles

Making bubbles with a big tennis racket

Bouncing around

Olivia's class (minus the two boys) out on the jetty

Olivia in her hat (you can see her sore eye)

Good friends Sammie and Abby

Zach and Olivia enjoying the picnic lunch

The party was held down by the lake, and as it started to end lots of the kids got into the nasty looking water. Zach was quite the challenge since all he wanted to do was run onto the jetty and jump in the water. He kept pulling his shirt up to let me know that he wanted to change into his swim shorts. I felt bad because I spent a lot of time running after him, and not too much time with Olivia, but she said that she had a fun time. I was probably just worrying too much. She did want to get in the water though, and I had to say that it was time to go when Zach got knocked down and started screaming. I knew that if she went in then Zach would follow her, and then I would have to go in to keep him from drowning, and I wasn't equipped for that. 

We left and came home, had some benadryl, put Zach down for a nap, and then snuggled up on my bed together and watched Cars, since I was having some guilt about not being the best mom to Olivia today. Hopefully she'll forget my failures quicker than I do and tomorrow is always a new day!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I think sometimes as moms we are too hard on ourselves. I'm sure Olivia had a great time & she will remember how great it was that you were there to share it with her!