Birthday cupcakes
I enjoyed stringing up the hearts and
The mantle also got into the festive spirit
Some of our heart treats
(Spenser loves adding the finishing touches)
The kids played as we waited for everyone to arrive. There was lots of light saber dueling going on and everyone seemed to be picking on the older brother. Luckily for Thomas, faithful Connor soon arrived and helped defend his friend. They all had a great time running around, making lots of noise, screaming, and slamming doors. We then got started on the games. I always find them, but am happier to let Spenser be the master of ceremonies.
Spenser directing our 'heart stomp' game
Olivia and McKayla
Olivia was ready to go
Watching to see whose team would come in first
While all this was going on Zach decided to take care
of business and help himself to a few treats
You always need a little brother to help blow
out the candles!
Connor and Thomas
Opening Presents
Olivia and McKayla
We had the kids do several relay type games in two teams. We had hearts that directed them to do certain things like 'do 5 jumping jacks' and we played 'pass the heart' a variation on the old egg and spoon race with conversation hearts in place of the egg. They were all pretty competitive.
Olivia was ready to go
Watching to see whose team would come in first
While all this was going on Zach decided to take care
of business and help himself to a few treats
This was the 'steal my heart' game. We had the kids use skewers to pick out only the pink marshmallows. I was worried that someone might poke their eye out with all the excitement about winning.
Sadly, the birthday girls team lost both times, but she was OK with it. It may have had something to do with the boys on the team whose main interest was in trying to eat the marshmallows.
After a little more play time and the 'finding the heart' game it was time for pizza and treats. We had to sit and listen to a lot of bad jokes and pretend burping as they sat and chatted. Olivia was so much more chatty in the group scene than I had imagined she would be. I also never knew how much kids LOVE rootbeer.
Dad lighting the cupcake candles
Some of our guests thought that it was weird to have cupcakes instead of a cake. After doing a few birthday parties myself and seeing how much cake gets thrown away I prefer to go with a smaller and cheaper option these days. Cupcakes are also still kind of trendy too!
Singing 'Happy Birthday!'
You always need a little brother to help blow
out the candles!
Connor and Thomas
Opening Presents
I felt a little bad telling people that Olivia would really just love money so that she can buy a Nintendo DS before our trip to England. She is a good way there though now thanks to everyone's generosity.
Olivia was thrilled to get to sit next to Ethan during the party. She has a bit of a thing for him. When Thomas teased her about getting married to Ethan though she told him that 'of course she was going to marry Connor.' I'm not sure how poor Connor feels about that.
The treat bags that Olivia and I stamped and put together
Some of the kids then chose to decorate Valentine cookies while the rest of them ran upstairs and continued to play. I think that everyone had a fun time and I was pleased with how everything had turned out. I'm glad to say that next year I'll get a year off. I decided to institute the family birthday on odd birthday number years and a friend party on even ones!





4 comments:
What a great party!! The crepe paper ceiling was definately worth staying up until 1:30 in the morning for...it's adorable!
LOVE IT NADS! Can you just FedEx me the decorations!!! :) How did you hang the hearts off the crepe paper? What is the stomp the heart game? LOVE the cupcake idea. Super smart! We are decorating cupcakes at our party. Any tips for great decorating items other than conversation hearts and red hearts?
THANKS!
LOVE the party stuff Nad! You are definitely a go-to person for parties! Looks like a great party! xx
You always do such great parties! What fun ideas! You are such a crafting maven! And no, I don't work at PB. I did for a bit before I had the boys and miss my discount now that I actually am trying to pull my house together...would've been great for the sectional and media console we just bought.
Post a Comment