When people tell you that you have to enjoy your kids while they're young because they grow so fast I always think "they're only saying that because their kids are older and they don't remember what it was like!" When I look at my older more independent nieces and nephews I think it looks easier. They are more independant and can entertain themselves. But as I wondered how the past 5 years of Miss Olivia's life has just flown by, I was surprised to feel a twinge of sadness.
The day started off with the traditional birthday balloons and present opening. We never know what the birthday response is really going to be like since her birthday is so close to Christmas, but everyone seemed to remember this year. It might have helped that one set of grandparents was physically present - I'm not sure!
Zach was interested from a far.
Checking those presents out
Tinkerbell was a hit Grandma Noelene
The kids always get to pick what they want for breakfast on their birthday. Olivia requested some pink waffles with red syrup. She loves to have those little wells filled up with the good stuff.

Zach decided to join us for some food
After lunch we headed out to Charlie's Safari, which was where Olivia said she would like to spend her day. As luck would have it the Johnson's and Hollingsheads were also out there and so everyone got to run around together. Thomas was a little emotional at times since his buddy Carson was moving to Texas the next day and he has really enjoyed playing with him just recently.
Carson, Thomas, and Connor
Zach had a few problems with some of the younger boys while he was playing. He managed to get into quite the fight with one little boy. He was however, very nice to one little girl that he met. He was trying to be kind and gentle, but he got into her space a little too much. Girls are cool, but the boys are clearly a threat. He's also that way in nursery.
The kids ran around on the play equipment for a while and before we left we had a game of miniature golf.
The tongue is important for concentration!
Zach loves to play golf. This is where I spend most
of my time when we come to Charlies.
Grandpa hit balls back and forth to Zach.
Grandma and Grandpa dropped me off while they drove over to Spenser's office to pay for dad's dental work. They managed to arrive back at Charlie's 2 hours later. They got to see a lot of the area while they were driving around! We were just glad that they made it in the end. Grandpa was good enough to take Zach into the climbing area so he saved me.
Even Spenser made it for a little while.
We then headed out to dinner at Panera Bread. Olivia is quite the picky eater and so we made sure to ask her where she would like to go. Unfortunately, they were out of plain bagels, but the sesame seed one worked out once I had picked off as many of the seeds as I could.
As is typical I hadn't made any cupcakes yet and so we got some of those in the oven real quick when we got home. Grandma and Grandpa headed out to the movies, while we frosted cupcakes and sang 'Happy Birthday.'

Starwberry cupcakes
She seemed quite happy with them

Getting ready to blow the candles out

Never getting too close. She's scared of fire.
Olivia we sure are glad that you came to our family 5 years ago. What would be do without you?! Olivia is a pretty good girl. She is often happy to play and entertain herself. Just recently though, she has started to come out of her shell and is asking more and more to have friends over to play with.
She is a sweet girl and loves her brothers very much. She loves to joke around with Thomas and loves to have hugs with Zach when she wakes up in the morning.
You would never know it, but she really is quite smart. She has known most of her letters since she was 2. I think that there are also lots of words that she can read, but you never can be quite sure with that one though, since she has memorized a lot of her favorite books. I do know that she recognizes lots of high frequency words.
She is also quite emotional at times, and when she gets that way it can be hard to bring her back around. Oh, how I look forward to a teenager with hormones!

4 comments:
Everyone but Rachael remembered this year! I am so useless. I am so sorry Olivia. Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a great day!
We love you Olivia! What a fun Birthday ! We are glad that we got see you for a bit of it. I love the picture of all three boys. I'll have to get a copy of that one. IT was pretty funny to see tiny little Zach beating up some boys at Charlie's. He's tougher than he looks!
Oh yeay for Miss Olivia!! I remember that she was born on the day of our engagement dinner and was just a little baby at our wedding. Where did that time go?! Zach is sure growing and looking a whole lot like Thomas.
Debs says - Glad you had a happy birthday Olivia - goodness me a five year old!! x x
Post a Comment