This morning didn't exactly go as I would have hoped. Zach managed to find his favorite 'truck' pajamas in the case and had a complete melt down when he had to take them off for a shower. It sounded like the poor child was being tortured, and I guess that he kind of was. Let's just say that both of us got very wet in the bathroom. When Thomas went to put his suit on he discovered that he really did need a belt, which was not what he had told me when I was packing his clothes. Spenser who had just barely come back from finding some flowers for Grandma's grave was sent back out again for a belt. There was only an hour before we had to leave and still a lot to do. Olivia wasn't happy to finally have to get out of bed and get her hair washed. Really I had wanted to do baths last night, but we came home too late. We rushed around and finally managed to make it to church on time for the family prayer and I felt that I had a lot of praying for forgiveness to do for having lost my temper so much.
I didn't go up and see Grandma, but could see her from where I was. She looked nice lying there. Grandma Noelene took Thomas up to see her. He said that it was a shame that we can't bury people above the ground so that we can see them still. I think that he was thinking about Snow White in her glass coffin. We explained that your body changes after you have died and that might not be the nicest thing to look at.
The funeral was well attended and Grandma's 3 daughters all did a great job of speaking. I did learn a few things about Grandma Packer that I never knew before too like her being involved in operatics. Spenser said that he didn't know that either, so I guess that's why I was so in the dark! Zach was quite unhappy to be there so we sat outside part way through. It was touching to see some of her grandsons wheel her casket out to the car once the program was over.
We then headed up to the cemetry. After the dedicatory prayer Thomas and Olivia both wanted to place rose on the coffin and at Grandpa Packer's grave stone too.
Grandsons carrying the coffin at the cemetery
Thomas holding his flowers to place at the grave
Grandma's final resting place
Olivia waiting to place her roses
Grandma Noelene made sure to help her out
Grandma packer's wreath on her casket
Zach thought that the cemetery was a great place to climb around
Grandma and Grandpa's headstone
Some of the many beautiful flowers
Thomas and Jared
The whole Cammack family (minus Deidre and boys)
We then headed back to the church where a meal had been prepared for us. It was quite a large gathering.
Zach clearly thought that the ham was a hit
Spenser helping the kids pick out their bear
This is the bear that he finally ended up with
Olivia loves her bear with the rose
Showing off their bears
The bears then got thrown around for a lot of the afternoon

Some serious bear talk
Olivia and Katrina
After the meal was over Great Grandma and Grandpa Cammack came by to visit for a little while. We took a few photos with them too. Unfortunately, being a photography amateur most of the ones I took are kind of bleached out so I will have to wait for Amy to post hers.
Katrina, Great Grandma cammack, Gina, and Olivia
With her special Megan and Gina
Olivia seemed to like Great Grandma
We came home and got packed ready to leave. The girls then went over to Down East together before heading out to a final dinner together. Thank you Grandpa Kent for treating all of us!
At the end of the meal we had a special cake for Katrina, Brad, and me. Katrina's birthday is tomorrow and Brad and I both celebrate next week.
Our cake
With my fellow May birthday celebrator! I'm not sure where Brad was at this point. He seemed to spend most of his time on the phone talking to Deidre who wasn't able to come out for the funeral. He clearly misses his wife much more than my husband ever misses me when he's gone. I'm lucky if I get a phone call a day!
We finally managed to find Brad

For some people the cake was clearly the most
exciting part of the meal!

One girl who loves her cake
After some goodbyes it was time to start our drive home. Of course we first had to go back to Aunt Annette's to recover my glasses which Spenser had left behind, but it gave us a chance to thank her again and give her a little something in person.
It was fun to see everyone even though it wasn't under the best of circumstances. Spenser and I commented frequently about how Grandma Packer was probably mad that she was missing out on such a gathering because she always loved it when the family was all together. As usual Thomas and Olivia loved seeing their cousins and it was nice to catch up with everyone. Now it's on to Boise!



1 comment:
When Brad retold the bear story it was with tears. I feel like I get a lot more detail from your blog than from Brad...thank you. And I just call a lot, I don't think he called me much. I was pretty sad to not be there!
Post a Comment