Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dance Recital

Last night we all got to enjoy Olivia's final dance recital. Spenser had been up in Seattle at a dental conference all day and we were a little worried that he would miss it, but he arrived with just a few minutes to spare.


Waiting for the performance to begin


Some of the class


Up on stage


The really hard thing about dancing at this age is that even if you know all the steps there are enough other girls that don't that it really makes you doubt yourself!


We even had a costume change mid way through. Olivia and Sam looked cute in their 80's inspired get up. Sam was trying to be a little slinky and Michelle their teacher told her that she needed to get her shirt over her shoulder before they went up on stage!


Waiting for their next dance


The sad thing about this video is that it really doesn't show how much Olivia got into the dance. I was laughing so hard at how much she was shaking it. I can still hardly believe sometimes that this is the same girl who 3 years ago just stood on the stage and wouldn't move because she was so shy. Kindergarten has really been a big part of helping her grow this year. 


At the end of the performance everyone was handing out flowers to their girls. I had tried this last year and Olivia didn't enjoy the attention too much. I asked her again today if she would like a flower and she said that she just wanted one of the brownies I was making to take along for treats at the end of the show. She's so easily pleased and even got to enjoy a piece of watermelon too!

2 comments:

Hayley said...

Well done Olivia! She is quite the little prompter - infact she seems to know the steps better than anyone else...just a little more grace and she'll be perfect! We love you Liv! xx PS - Why do they always choose such dreadful music?!

RyanJohnsonFamily said...

I LOVED watching her "shake it!" and I love what a friendly and outgoing girl she has become-at least towards me-she went from hardly talking to me after years of knowing you guys-to chatting it up! I love it. She will make a fabulous daughter in law!