Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cupcakes and Carols


The morning started as well as could be expected with me down on the coach with Zach. I had been there since around 4.00 am when I finally told Spenser that he had to let me take over so that he could get a few hours sleep before work. I do worry so about him one day just dropping off with the drill in someone's mouth (all of those patients out there don't be alarmed!) I had cupcakes till to frost and decorate to take to preschool for Olivia's day as the "sharing friend". They were planning on celebrating her birthday early since they aren't going to be in school when it really is her birthday. Zach was still asleep in my arms and I knew that there would be nothing but trouble once I moved him, but it had to be done. Of course he started crying and grabbing for me and so I quickly tuned into the Wiggles which helped long enough for me to get the frosting made and Thomas dressed and lunch made.

As we drove home from taking Thomas to school I told Olivia that dad had made the cupcakes last night and I was finishing frosting them. She was not at all happy with me.

"But mom, I wanted to do it. I wanted to crack the eggs"

She had also been very specific about the decoration and it appeared that I had again come up short. While I had got the pink frosting right there should have been "pink sprinkles" and not "the stars that we put on Hayley's cake." I pleaded for forgiveness as we drove to preschool promsing that I would do much better for her real birthday. Should I really be apologizing to my 3 year old and where do they get their anal, particular side from I ask myself frequently?!

The other problem that we faced was that Olivia now thinks that she's 4 since she celebrated her birthday at schoo. We have tried repeatedly to tell her that her birthday is after Christmas and not before, but she is having none of it. Next year they are just going to have to celebrate her birthday after the holidays because the poor thing got far too confused!

After lunch we headed out to Thomas' school for their 1st grade Christmas show. It was mainly a bunch of Christmas songs and poems from all the 1st grade classes. Thomas is so funny to watch. He is always totally serious. He rarely looks at you. All the acknowledgment that you ever get is a brief hand raise and little smile, which is quite different from the other kids who are screaming "hi mom!" from the stage. He did do a great job though. He had worked super hard at learning al of the words to the songs and now I even know what some of those old favorites like "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and "Frosty the Snowman" are saying. Olivia of course loved seeing her rbother and sang along beside me to all of the songs we had practiced each night. Zach was mainly excited about seeing Ryan our next door neighbor present Thomas' class poem!


Thomas is right there on the front row with the brown shirt and
white stripes. One thing about him being a little shorter is that
I know I will always be able to see him (sorry bud!). If you look
closely you will notice his less than excited face!

Here are a couple of video clips. The quality isnt great since they were taken with my camera. My video camera got lost remember and hasn't been replaced yet. Something about the $600 to do that!


Rudolf the red nosed Reindeer



Thomas got to be involved in the "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" group. His however, didn't come out because they necessarily wanted to!


After the event

After the event we came home and watched as the snow began to fall. Little did we know what the future had in store for us!

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Loved hearing the singing...we're sad we missed it...we miss you all! xx