Sunday, October 11, 2009

While they were away...

...they had lots of fun! Spenser decided that while he was going down to Phoenix for some dental training that he would take Thomas with him for a special treat. I joked that he was getting off lightly taking one of our easiest children that he wouldn't even be looking after all that much and so he said that he's take Zach too and make it into a boys trip. I was super sad to see them all go. I haven't been separated from either Thomas or Zach for longer than an overnight trip since they've been born and I always worry that no one can take care of them better than you. After all I get to stay home with them and know what they like to eat, when they like to eat, what makes them happy, and what makes them sad and what to do when sadness strikes! I tell myself that no one else can ever figure these things out (mainly to validate my staying home with them I guess!)

I was really wondering about whether or not I should let Zach go when it came time to leave since he has had a bad cold for the last week or so and I was worried that he would be troublesome, especially at night. Spenser reassured me that he would be fine, that he was going, and that if he didn't I would have a very angry mother in law. I knew that he was right, but it didn't stop me from shedding a little tear as I drove my only child to soccer practice. It was nice to be able to sit and enjoy watching just Olivia and not have to worry about entertaining Zach over at the park though.

Spense called later on Thursday night and told me they had arrived safely, that Zach liked grandma ( I figure that he realized that he was going to have to attach himself to someone if he was to survive the trip) and that they had all done great on the flight.

Luckily auntie Amy took some pictures of some of the things they got up too. Spenser insisted on taking our old camera with him which I told him would be no good so the pictures that we have from that aren't amazing (the reason we got rid of it and gave it to Thomas in the first place).

On Thursday they spent the day down at the Children's museum in Phoenix where they had a lot of fun. They drove the light rail down there and Amy said that Zach loved it and enjoyed waving to all the passers by.

20091008-IMG_2829.jpg

Riding the light rail

20091008-IMG_2834.jpg


In the noodle forest

20091008-IMG_2839.jpg


Looks like it was a hit!

20091008-IMG_2842.jpg


Weighing the lentils

20091008-IMG_2854.jpg



20091008-IMG_2855.jpg



20091008-IMG_2869.jpg


Just as long as he realizes he'll never have a real one!


20091008-IMG_2876.jpg


This little picture made my heart happy when I saw it

Thomas obviously took good care of his little brother


20091008-IMG_2878.jpg


Driving through the car wash


20091008-IMG_2881.jpg


When it was Zach's turn, grandma had to help out


20091008-IMG_2889.jpg


Thomas and auntie Amy


At lunch time they met up with grandpa Kent at the Diamond Backs stadium. Thomas got to watch a game that was going on and really enjoyed that. Of course in the evening they went out to that little hole in the wall that they call Chino's. They serve a mixture of Chinese and Mexican food which is actually really good. The restaurant while clean isn't exactly what you might call a fine dining experience, but it's one that we all love whenever we're in town and they have the biggest and tastiest snickerdoodles around.


Waiting for lunch at the ball park

20091008-IMG_2892.jpg

Zach loved riding the light rail it would seem

At Chino's

Jared, Thomas, and Nathan at Chino's

Friday was spent down at a new park by Amy's house. Zach I guess was a little cautious at first, but after his big brother took him down the slide a couple of times it appears that there was no stopping him. Everyone enjoyed the evening over at Amy's having pizza and Thomas then stayed the night with his cousins. He reported that there wasn't too much sleeping going on because Nathan was so loud. I am sure that they were all as bad as each other.

Keeping his brother safe


He always finds something that he can climb

After Spenser finished up at the Scottsdale Center on Saturday afternoon they had Matt and his two daughters Eliza and Jane come over for a BBQ. The weather was still in the high 80's so it was definitely still BBQ weather. Matt was Spenser's best friend in high school and room mate in college and we always make time to see them when we go back to Phoenix. After a BBQ at the homestead they went out to Castle's and Coasters for some miniature golf and fun rides. I spoke to them a couple of times during the evening and they were definitely all having a fun time.

On the carousel

Riding the bumper cars with grandpa
(with a random girl in the background!)

The group
I asked Spenser where Zach's shirt was and he said he got messy from
a snack, but it was replaced with a new one when he was finished!

Thank you so much grandma Noelene for taking a couple of days off work to be with the boys. We really appreciate it and all the fun things that you took them to do. Thanks also to auntie Amy who helped out too. With Zach in the group you often need a little extra!

No comments: