Monday, September 13, 2010

Olivia's First Day of Kindergarten



Today was Olivia's first day of Kindergarten. She had been asking when she was going to school all summer long, but over the weekend I think she was getting a little nervous because she said that she didn't want to go anymore.

Everyone wanted in on the picture

I was worried about how well everyone would do with getting up. Olivia loves to sleep. She was sleeping in until at least 10:00 a.m all summer long, so the 7:00 a.m. was a little bit of a change for her. She did a great job though and got herself going. I was pretty impressed with myself when I managed to get everyone out of the door by 8:00 a.m. I know for some people that's nothing, but it's quite the accomplishment for our family. 


We had a nice surprise by the name of 'dad' when we got to school. He worked it out so that he could leave the office for a little while to see Olivia off on her first morning. We were all pretty happy to see him. Olivia found a coat hook and her table and then sat herself down to work on some play dooh. 

Waiting to open her play dooh

She was a little bit nervous right at first and
sat quietly waiting for instructions


When the class moved to carpet time I decided that was my time to leave. I didn't cry today like I did when I left Thomas on his first day, but I did think about her all morning long. Maybe it's because she is my second child, maybe it's because she's not going to be gone all day long like Thomas, or maybe it's because I feel she's better prepared than Thomas was.

When I picked her up she quickly told me that she wanted to ride the bus home tomorrow. I didn't realize, but the kindergartners ride just 2 buses and so I think that she thought she was missing out on something. If she wants to I won't say no to an extra 20 minutes or so to get things done around the house in the morning. She reported having a good day and enjoyed playing at recess. I think that recess is just about every kids favorite.

As for Zach. He loved being by himself like I knew he would. It just means that he didn't have to share a thing for 2 1/2 hours and when you share as well as Zach does that's a great thing.

2 comments:

Eric and Rozanne said...

Wow! You've caught up on a lot of posts since I last read your blog. I wasn't as sad when my others went to half-day either, but my baby going full-day has been very sad. :(

Eric and Rozanne said...

By the way, Tessa had Mrs. Egolf for her Kindergarten teacher too.