Monday, September 6, 2010

Vashon Island

For Labor Day we decided to journey out to Vashon Island. I have been wanting to go out there for a while and take a look around. I think that I have a thing for islands and ferry boats. Maybe when we are old and grey Spenser and I will just have to go and live out on one.

We arrived at Point Defiance right as the ferry was leaving so we had to wait a little while for it to come back. It was a pretty short and calm crossing and I didn't have any problems at all.

Mum who isn't great at sea, but usually better than me
had a hard time for some reason. She tried to sit perfectly still!

Olivia always enjoys a good ferry crossing

Maybe we'll be islanders one day?!

After we unloaded we headed into town. The island wasn't all that big so it wasn't too hard to find the main thoroughfare. It was lunch time and everyone was getting a little peckish so we quickly decided on The Hardware store, one of the oldest commercial buildings in town, which has been converted into a nice restaurant.

Olivia enjoyed her breakfast for lunch
She thought the face was pretty cool

After lunch we walked up and down the center of town stopping in an antique store (where Thomas found and bought some vintage Star Wars guys) and the local book store amongst others. It was then back into the car to see what else the island had to offer. We found our way onto Maury Island and the Point Robinson Lighthouse. From how many lighthouses we have seen in the last week or so some people may begin to think that I have a thing for lighthouses too. Not true. I like the beach and the two often seem to be in close proximity to one another for obvious reasons! I love the beach because there are always an abundance of rocks and rocks and water mean hours of fun for kids.

Point Robinson Lighthouse

We found a bunch of these forts all over the beach

Zach missed out on the beach. He fell asleep in the
car and Grandpa Graham volunteered to stay (sleep) with him

Like I said these things were everywhere
Maybe there's not too much else to do on an island?



Thomas showing his Ninja moves

Spenser with Grandma Noelene and Grandpa Kent

We headed back to the car picking blackberries on the way. The kids said these were some of the juiciest they have tastiest, and they have picked a whole lot this summer. We then made our way back to the ferry terminal to find that we had yet again just missed it. Luckily, we didn't have to wait as long as we thought. It was then a short drive to Panera for dinner followed by Grandma Elaine treating us to some Cold Stone. We wouldn't want her to miss out while she's here! Thanks for a fun day!

No comments: