Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Floor Fiasco

Since we finally heard from our insurance adjuster yesterday we finally decided to start pulling up our kitchen hardwood, which got damaged back at the end of June. We discovered that the dishwasher had been leaking right before we left for Utah and so didn't have a chance to really take care of anything back then. I wish I could say that this was the only thing that we've had go wrong recently, but sadly it isn't. Dwelling on it all however, doesn't make you feel any better though. 

After the incident t then took us some time to find floor companies that we liked and get the quotes we needed. We have also delighted our neighbors I'm sure with our old dishwasher that's currently sitting on the side of the house because the water still inside it smelt rancid. The whole thing has taken way too long for me, and after speaking with the insurance company yesterday I told Spense that we should probably make sure that there wasn't any damage going on under the floor that we didn't know about. As he started pulling up the boards there was a lovely musty smell and we could see that some black mold was obviously starting to grow. 

We called a family in our ward who deal with water damage and one of them came out today to take a look. He said that the damage wasn't too bad, and so he sprayed some chemicals to kill the mold and then left us with some noisy fans to try and dry things out. Making dinner tonight was challenging. It was hot, and noisy, and there was dust blowing all around the kitchen from the subfloor. I decided that a Stouffer's lasagna fresh from the oven with a ready made caesar salad would have to do it. 


The blue fans won't be missed


Our moldy subfloor


We enjoyed dinner on our picnic blanket 

Since I had the camera outside the kids seized the opportunity to have me take some picture of their "tricks."


Thomas delighted us by jumping off the swing!


Zach thought that hanging off the playset was pretty cool!

1 comment:

Deidre said...

This is WRETCHED! I had no idea. What a terrible mess for you to have to deal with. Argh. Sorry to hear it.