Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Dying Eggs


Like we do every year, we got out the vinegar and the egg dying kits, boiled some eggs, and colored some eggs. As we dyed eggs this year I was finally able to understand why American eggs are different. I have been troubled by the white color of the eggs and the need for refrigeration for many years now, having been raised on those nice speckled brown eggs that look like they right from the farm. But, I can finally now say, that my worried are over.

Over the past little while I have become a little concerned with all of the chemicals that go into our food and milk. We decided to go hormone free with the milk and I try and buy organic where I can. When I came to boil the eggs, I discovered that I only had a few white eggs left and so I had to use some of my brown ones too. Upon dipping the eggs it was easy to see which colored better and so I now know the reason for white eggs - they;re simply better for dying!


Olivia was super excited about this activity!
(She did really get into it in the end!)


Applying the Spiderman stickers

Olivia and Thomas had a lot of fun dying and then decorating their eggs with stickers. I do have to say that I am sorry to report that Thomas developed my nose for smells and although he had a fun time I think that it was overshadowed a little by the eggy smell that was around. Sorry son!

1 comment:

TimLoraKat said...

I agree with the smells - with the vinegar and egg, yuck. We did the same thing with our eggs - some white and some brown. The white ones turned out brighter as you said. Eater activities are fun.