Thursday, July 31, 2008

Some things we have learned


This morning we were eager to get going on the drive home so we packed up the stuff (having had lots of practice this trip we were now pretty fast), piled the kids in the car and put on the DVD player. The trip back fortunately went a lot better than the trip up there. Zach slept for a short while and Thomas and Olivia didn't fight quite as much about what they were going to watch and we only had to make one short stop for lunch and leg stretching. Luckily my stomach was doing better so we didn't have to make roadside stops for me either. As we drove Spenser and I talked about how the trip. We decided that no matter what other people say about how they have been taking their kids camping ever since they were tiny we are never doing that with a small baby again, especially one like ours! We also decided that it is better to be a planner when it comes to camping so that you don't end up having to pack up your stuff every day and move to a different site. That was all just a little too much for us! But, I was proud of us for attempting it and there were of course many highlights to the trip, most of all we enjoyed just spending some time away together after being so busy for the past little while. I was glad to be home when we finally arrived so that I could take a shower and get rid of that fire smell, but as I looked at all the laundry I now had to do I felt anything but rested and rejuvenated!

2 comments:

Eric and Rozanne said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. It sounds just like you talking when I read it. I can certainly relate to the "camping with babies" thing. We have tried it a few times, and it was horrible. We spent many a night sleeping in the car with a baby who was too cold or wouldn't sleep in the tent. We have also had a crawler before, and I feel your frustration--can't put them on the ground and they don't want to be in the playpen. SO,SO TRUE! We pretty much gave up camping until the kids were a little older, but we did go a year when Jarem was 2 and finally had a really great time. Funny thing is...we went to Farragut State Park(near Courdalene) and spent some time at Silverwood. We had a wonderful time, but the weather did cooperate and that really helps the water park side of things. Sorry to hear about your stomach problems--that alone can ruin a trip. I don't think I would have stuck it out the rest of the trip. You are a trooper.

Ford Family said...

We just went camping- it lasted one night! It was terrible with the kids! They kept waking up, and our airbed (which was brand new) had a puncture, plus it rained! We have vowed never to go camping again!