Monday, July 7, 2008

Strawberry Fields and Fountains


I had been promising the kids ever since driving past the strawberry fields a while ago that we would go and pick strawberries, and feeling like a bit of a slacker because I hadn't done it yet, I decided that today was the day. Although the weather was a bit of a scorcher and Thomas complained that he was going to die of heat exhaustion the whole time I was still glad that we went.

It is always a treat taking Olivia to the patch. I have many a fond memory of going to Circle S Farm out in Ohio with Olivia and watching her sit among the strawberries and eat to her hearts content. She ate so many that when we paid for our berries we offered to give them a few extra dollars for those that were now in her little belly. She loved picking the berries and putting them in the basket and she also managed to sneak a few while the girl wasn't watching us too!

Thomas' strawberry picking experience is a little different. He doesn't really like strawberries at all, but he just goes for the memories! He was trying to pick up the strawberries with a wipe to start off with so he wouldn't get his hands dirty, but after he squished a good many I made him give that up!


I decided that we would spare those poor strawberries a very soggy end by picking them myself and then giving them to the kids to put in the basket. The main problem with that strategy was that I had to get down close to the plant with Zach in the baby carrier, which gave him easy access to the leaves. Let's just say that we left the field a little while later with a mouth full of them!

The harvest wasn't too large, but we mainly go for the experience and of course strawberries straight from the field!


Since it was so hot that evening and because we don't have air conditioning (since apparently it doesn't need to come standard in the Pacific Northwest) I decided that we needed to get out of our warm house and go downtown to enjoy the fountains. We had sandwiches by the sound and then headed over for a little running around. Thomas got right in there, but Olivia took a little more convincing. I had to run in and out of the middle with her trying to avoid all of the kids who were spraying water everywhere. That part didn't come easy.




Zach thought that the fountains looked like fun, until he caught a little of the spray and then just decided that it was too cold. He entertained himself by crawling over to a nearby baby girl who he tried to give kisses too.


2 comments:

Harmony said...

Cute blog Nadia! It's so fun to keep in touch this way!

Hayley said...

Beautiful! I love the one with Zach smiling! I also love the sunglasses - Liv's = Victoria Beckham and Thomas = Brad Pitt. Very hip! xx