Friday, August 15, 2008

Brother Joseph

Today we held our Primary activity which focused on the prophet Joseph Smith. Since we decided to hold it on a weekday morning we were a bit limited with our choice of Joseph, so with his 4 day work week and outgoing personality Spenser was the obvious choice. One of the things that I have always loved about Spenser is that he is always game for anything and he will do almost anything to support me in my calling. I can't say that I have been in that same place this past month or so because he has been gone such a lot with YM's so I was a little hesitant to ask for his help with the activity. He of course agreed and even went above and beyond by making some gold plates from tin foil and gold spray paint!


Joseph and the pioneer women
who make up the Primary Presidency


Joseph and Emma

One of the mom's in our ward told me that her little
Sunbeam daughter had been a little confused at
the end of the activity because she thought that
Joseph and Mary had been there with the baby
Jesus. I just laughed and told her that I was sure
that the baby Jesus would have been far
better behaved than Zach!

We started off with songs around the campfire and then Spenser shared the some stories from the childhood of the Prophet Joseph. We then went inside for three stations. Spense and I ran the stick pulling and Gold Plate relay section. I was a bit worried that he was getting a little over zealous when he challenged 4 kids to pull against him and was glad when he won! He also managed to beat off the only real challenge in Jason who is in the Bishopric. He was working hard though and I was quite worried that he would be complaining of back ache after he was done! We also had a Bingo station and a food station where they made some yummy scones and got to try Johny cake. The day ended with some sack races, egg and spoon, and a tug of war. Spenser's team prevailed!



Around the campfire

Stick pulling

The real competition!

Olivia joined in with the tug of war at first...


...and then she wandered off!



The winning side!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go Spense! What a great hubby to do stuff like that for you Nadia! And hats off to you and the presidency for a great activity!

Hayley said...

You and Spense look good! I really think you would have fit in back in those days!

Debs said...

Wow - what fun that looked!!Well done Nad and Spenser - thought you two really looked the part! x x

Deidre said...

You both looked really great. Sounds like a fun activity! That is nice Spense helped out so much.

England Family said...

Nad, I didn't realize you were in primary. You need to share ideas please!!! That activity looked great!

Britain said...

Nadia, what a great activity for the kids! We may have to steal some of your ideas for next year. We are getting ready to do our Primary Olympics in a few weeks. I am sure it will be fun, but I am always glad when the quarterly activities are over.

Eric and Rozanne said...

This looks SO fun. I wish our kids could have joined in. So, just out of curiosity, who did win the Bro. Reed/Bro. Cammack match-up... :)

DeLaina said...

Nadia-what a great activity idea!