Spenser did a pretty good job of giving me a good day today. I don't like that my two special days of the year are so close together and in recent years they have been such a flop that he decided that he would make a good effort for me today! I don't like getting older though. I know that we're only just into our thirties, but I feel like 40 somehow isn't too far away!
The day was supposed to start out with breakfast, but Spenser had to go and drop off all the food and household donations that the youth had collected for youth conference today. I was just glad that we would be able to get both cars back into the garage again. I guess that they had the biggest contribution there out of the stakes involved so the run to find paper bags from the grocery stores around here the night before they were to hand them out was worth it! By the time Spense got home the kids were already "starving" and so they had to be happy with some cold cereal.
My family called to wish me "Happy Birthday" and Hayley informed me about the blog post Spenser had put up for my birthday. She said that that way if the day was a flop I wouldn't be able to complain too much! I only wish that all he put on there was true and that I was as great as he seems to think!
Waiting for presents
New clothes are always exciting!
We then opened presents (which I wasn't expecting and didn't ask for) and then we went out to the nursery to pick out some annuals for the garden since that's what I'd asked for as a Mother's Day gift. As we left the house we realized that everyone was already hungry, so we picked something up and drove downtown to sit by the lake.
Thomas managed to step into some dog poop and
put it all over his jeans. He wasn't very happy!
The kids had fun throwing rocks into the lake.
We then headed out to the nursery and picked out some flowers. Olivia had a great time helping me. The greenhouse was pretty warm and so Thomas and Zach quickly got tired and grouchy. I am so glad that we don't live anywhere warmer because I'm not sure how they would manage to survive. After coming home I spent some time planting while the kids played. We were going to go out to an early dinner, but since Zach went down so late for his nap we just decided to get something in.
Zach enjoyed his chicken and ketchup!
He is always such a mess.
As we sat in the yard I saw a couple of our friends cars drive by. Spense had told me earlier this morning that the Johnson's might come over because their tile still wasn't finished and I laughed an asked if he had organized a surprise party. His face wasn't very convincing but he promised me "on the Book of Mormon", which is something serious in our household and so I believed him. I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to trust him again! My only wish is that he would have informed me a couple of minutes before they arrived so I could have changed my shirt because I was too embarrassed to do it after they were all here. Luckily, the house was pretty tidy since we had been out all day.
Blowing out candles
The cake
Zach decided that eating directly from
the cake was the most effective way.
Since Jennifer's birthday was coming up to they combined the event. We got cake and everything. The kids had fun playing and it was good to chat with everyone. We really do have some great friends. After they all left we rushed to get kids into the bath and I had to head out to Jo Anns to pick up some card stock for a craft for nursery tomorrow. I just wish I could have been a little more organized so that the evening had been more relaxing, but it was a fun and sunny day.

5 comments:
All of the things Spenser said are too true:) Glad you had a fun birthday. Hope you are having a good week too.
Sounds like you had a great day Nad, we called and left a message - did you get it?? xx
It sounds like you had a good birthday. I am glad! And Spense is smart- those things are all true and he was smart enough to marry you. Not only is he lucky but we are all lucky to!
It looks like you had a good day...I hated to hear about the dog poop thing though. That can be so gross. Now, I have to ask, what was wrong with the shirt?
Very nice to see that your day was enjoyable too. Do you celebrate Mothering Sunday at all? I'm thinking Spense is like Brad--HORRIBLE liar. The face gives it away every time.
Post a Comment