Thursday, September 3, 2009

Farewell Dear Friend


Tonight we had to say goodbye to our dear friend and house guest Cooper. It truly has been a pleasure to have him stay. We dropped him back over at the Johnson's before we left to go camping this weekend and it was a sad time for all of us. I think that Zach knew that he was going somewhere since he whined the whole drive. He really broke down when we opened the car door and let Cooper run back into the house - poor little guy!

It has been a good experience for us. It was reconfirmed that all of our kids love having a dog around. We enjoyed taking him for walks, although this was sometimes time consuming since we felt like we should take him every night. I enjoyed having him hanging around and sleeping in our room at night, and as expected I ended up putting clean water and food into his bowl. Spenser was good at picking up the poop for the first few days and then that job was also turned over to me.

So will we get a dog? The jury still is out on that one. While the kids are now even more committed I'm not sure that I would really enjoy the poop disposal or cleaning up the hairs from the kitchen floor on a regular basis. We also worry that any dog we got would never be as good as Cooper. We were definitely spoiled. I guess that there's not too much more to say except for "watch this space!"

4 comments:

RyanJohnsonFamily said...

I think he misses you guys...probably because you walked every night and gave him lots of love. Thats better than I can say we do. Can't wait to see if you get one...if you do we will dog sit:)

Susan said...

Dog sitting is great. Having a dog is great also-but can sometimes be a bit much, especially if you are the mom because you end up doing most of it. Enjoy your dog-free time and if you ever want to borrow a dog, I have one at my house!

Hayley said...

No dog will ever be as good as Cooper?! What a statement! Never be surprised! No dog will ever be as good as Chester! He's truly a gift from heaven! xx

Lesley-Ann said...

We definitely think you should get a dog, but then we are animal lovers, dogs, cats, horses, goats, ducks and chickens! It has been so hard finding good homes for them, but we are relieved that we have now managed to do just that :-)
Animals teach children so much, not only about life and caring but sadly also about death :-( We wouldn't be without them (well we will be for a while and then we will build up our array of animals again) thankfully Aaron and Kimberly have 2 gorgeous cats :-)
You are so good at keeping your blog updated, I love catching up and looking at all you photos, thanks for sharing X