
Chore charts have never really worked too well in our family. A tick on the chart has never really meant too much to Thomas. For him it doesn't really translate well into money. With the kids going back to school I have been wanting to set up a better system, especially in the hope that they will be better at getting ready in the morning. I feel like we are always rushing to get places on time and I always end up yelling at them to get moving.
I was looking through the Parenting magazine that I get and found a great idea in there which I modified slightly to fit our family. The mom had printed off some 'dad bucks' and given them to her children when they completed chores to be traded in later. I thought this might stand a chance of working since Thomas has become very interested in money just lately.
I went to festisite.com/money to print off my money and then we decided what chores would qualify and the things that the kids would like to trade in their money for. They decided on things like a small toy, a trip out for ice cream, a special date with mom or date, and of course just cold, hard cash. Thomas has been especially motivated and counts up his dollars each day after school to see how he's doing. Thomas even suggested that we have Thomas, Zach, and Olivia dollars that mom and dad can earn to go out on a date with. I work hard enough you cheeky little monkey!

4 comments:
That is so crazy... we just sat down at lunch time talking about chores and how to get the kids doing more things and whether we should pay them or not! Good to know we are going through exactly the same things! Let me know how it goes! It was great talking last night. Hope Grazza and Elazza made it!
I LOVE your mom and dad dollars! Thanks for the good idea. We may have to try that.
How lovely. I enjoy that magazine too--glad to know the ideas will work for later.
You should have Dad Dollars and Mummy Pounds (maybe Grandma's guineas). Then you can teach the kids a valuable lesson on the importance of exchange rates and how the since the government is monetizing our debt the dollar is sinking faster than the Titanic. You know, nothing grabs kid's interest more than a good discussion on sound international monetary policy.
I'd advize them to invest in the Mommy Pounds.
Post a Comment