Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Day of School

It was the first day of school for both Thomas and Olivia today. They both did pretty well at getting up although they didn't fall asleep as early as I would have wanted last night. Thomas kept telling me how much he would rather stay at home and play so I had to tell him that if I didn't send him to school the police would send me to jail. To be honest with you I wasn't quite ready for them to go back yet since there were still some things I would have loved to have done together.

Thomas is in a 1st / 2nd grade split class this year. He was originally put into a class with a teacher that I had requested that he not have and with a boy who had bullied him on the playground last year. When he saw the class list he spent about 3 hours crying that afternoon. I did a bit of crying myself, but made sure that he didn't see me doing that. I quickly got in touch with the principle who was able to move him into another class. He is going to be with Mrs Justice this year who we have been very impressed by so I hope that it will be a good year.

Standing for the 1st day of school shot


Zach was quite upset when we dropped Thomas off at school. Since we had been there last night dropping off supplies I think that he knew what was going down and that he was about to be left alone for a few hours with mum. As soon as I got home from taking Thomas it was on to Olivia. She is often a little more difficult to get moving, but we managed to get to school on time. She had been telling me for weeks how ready she was to go back to the Gingerbread House, but of course today she said she was sick and had a cough. She even did a nice fake cough for me too! She was a little hesitant as we walked inside, but once she saw her friends and settled down to some coloring she was just fine.

Miss Olivia

Zach wanted to pose with his sister too

Olivia asked that I take this picture of her backpack. She said that she didn't want a new one to begin with, but when she saw this Wizards backpack with Alex on it she was all over that.

Getting on with some coloring

There always has to be a finger or thumb in her mouth

With her buddies Abby and Sammy

When Olivia came home from preschool we set about making some cakes for a little 'well doneon your first day of school' party that I had planned. I really wanted to do it on Friday, but since Spense and I are going to Seattle we won't be around. Olivia loves to bake and was a big help, although I think she does it manly so that she can lick out the bowl and spoon.

Cracking the eggs

Pouring in the eggs

Some good mixing

Before we had even had any time to make some frosting it was time to go and get Thomas from the bus.
A rather disheveled Thomas getting off the bus

Thomas and Ryann both reported having a good day although Thomas is a little put out that they are just reviewing and haven't started learning anything new yet. I tried to explain that the teacher needs to do that so she can see where everyone is at.

Thomas requested tacos for dinner

These were supposed to be school pencils that
Spense and the kids then decorated


Thomas wanted to write his own name and
add the decorations himself

Olivia enjoyed decorating and then eating her cake

Thomas enjoyed decorating more than eating

Great 1st day you guys. Here's hoping for a great year!

6 comments:

Deidre said...

Olivia looks quite a bit like you. Glad that they got off to school ok.

Debs said...

Glad the school year has started off well - Miss Olivia, I love your socks, and I know another little Olivia who would love them too x x

Holly Park said...

Super parents!! Cakes and all!

Ford Family said...

What a good idea, wish I had thought of making cakes or something when they went back- we did have a special dinner, and they requested tacos too!

Hayley said...

Cute kids, cute cakes and cute socks Olivia! I love looking at Olivia's face when she's concentrating. Its so funny! xx

Eric and Rozanne said...

You are such a fun mom! I love that you did a first day of school celebration. My kids just got a pat on the back. :)