Monday, September 15, 2008

Mary, Mary quite contrary...

Last year when I was pregnant with Zach and we were attempting to plant some of the garden, we went to buy roses. I told the kids to each pick out their favorite color and one for the new baby. Thomas of course decided on red, while Olivia picked pink, and Thomas picked out white for the baby since it would be drinking a lot of "white" milk during that first year! They sat waiting to be planted for a while and when they finally got put in they got a little bit of disease, but did pretty well.
When the warm weather arrived I decided to go out and buy another bush to balance things out better, although the jury was pretty much out on my rose growing abilities from the looks of my other plants. One had black spots, while another looked half dead. Olivia's bush was the only one that gave me any hope. I knew that roses could be a bit of work and figured I had probably bitten off more than I could chew since working in the garden is difficult when you feel like you spend half your time out there stopping Zach from putting dirt into his mouth, pushing Olivia on the swing, and getting out sports equipment for Thomas. Needless to say after some small miracle we've had some great blossoms and really enjoyed the roses. You've just got to keep on trying! (Oh, and as you can see I am still fighting black spots on my white roses)

Thomas


Olivia

Zach

6 comments:

Heather E. said...

I think your roses are gorgeous!!! Good work Nadia!

Heather E. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
England Family said...

You are quite the gardener! I am very impressed. I never know what to get or what to do. I think we just make it all up and hope for the best! Thank you so much for Clark's bday stuff. They are gorgeous. He loves wearing them. Thanks for the card too! Did your dad tell you that we are moving?

Hayley said...

Well done. Elaine would be so proud! You will just have to watch out for Zach eating them! =)

Eric and Rozanne said...

Your roses are beautiful! It's quite an accomplishment to grow roses in the wet western WA climate. Kudos! I also had a lot of roses in Tumwater, and I think black spot just comes with the territory and the wet weather. I did find that a 3-in-1 fungicide helps and you have to just keep picking off the black spot leaves, but I'm sure you already knew that. :) They look so good.

Debs said...

They are beautiful Nadia!