Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Birthdays

Today was Thomas and Spenser's birthday. I always feel kind of bad for Spenser because I know that for the past 7 years he's had to share his special day. Well, I guess that he gets to understand a little about the way I feel since my birthday and Mother's day are just days apart and then my special days are over for the year (I'm not bitter I promise). 

Spenser left early for work. He didn't get breakfast, but I got up and made muffins for Thomas! Cinnamon muffins were the flavor of choice and I proudly showed them to him only to tell me that he had asked for either banana muffins or cinnamon rolls, not the muffins that I had heard. To be honest I'm not entirely sure who was wrong, but he graciously ate them anyway. He then spent a little while trying to wake Olivia up because he knew that he couldn't open presents until everyone was awake. His sister didn't kindly oblige and went back to sleep for a while, but she finally managed to make it down the stairs. He was allowed to open his cards and a couple of presents, since I had got into trouble from Spenser last year when Thomas opened everything at breakfast which made Spense feel a little uninvolved. 

The balloons and presents

Birthday breakfast

Money from Brad and Deidre - a big hit thanks
guys. He is very into money at the moment.

Olivia with the Star Wars toy we got for Thomas
and Grandma Elaine's Clone Trooper clothes

The kids played really well together while I made cupcakes and lunch to take to the park. We decided that we would meet Spenser for lunch at the park near his office and open the rest of the presents. Thomas was of course pretty down with that idea. Unfortunately, when we got to the office we had a dentist who was having some issues with a root canal which upset our plans a little. We just headed out to the park and Spenser joined us when he had finished up. We didn't get as much time with him as we would have liked, but it was still nice to see him. After a little park time we went home and got changed to go to the pool where we spent the rest of the afternoon. 

Waiting for dad to arrive

Making apple teeth

Dad finally arrived to enjoy his Quizno's sub

Olivis was of course very happy to help him open 
presents. Here is his new Razor scooter

Silly boy!

He loves to slide

Olivia didn't have the most sensible climbing footwear
and he kept getting bark on her feet too

The monkey bars can really make you puff

For dinner, Thomas had requested that we go to Pellegrino's Italian kitchen. He likes their pizza I guess. We had a nice meal, but just lately I feel like I have to spend the whole time preventing Zach from spilling his drink over himself. We always get a soda for him to enjoy, but for some reason he always wants to put his floaties in mine too. We managed to make it through the meal with only some minor spillage. 

The boys at Pellegrino's

Olivia helped Thomas with his ice cream!

When we came home we of course had to get the scooter out to try. Our neighbor Ryan was very interested in his new present and I think that he even rode it for more of the night than Thomas. Olivia was a mess and was begging to be put to bed so I did that before we had cupcakes. Being the cupcake lover that she is I was highly surprised when she said that she was just too tired to make it until then, but she did say that she would have one in the morning. 

The new ride

Zach took this out of our neighbors garage
so that he could join in the fun

Thomas isn't a huge fan of cake and ice cream (and Spense shouldn't eat them!) so I went simple with a few cupcakes this year. I made them each a star because they really shining stars to me. 

Star cupcake

Spenser excited about his birthday

Thomas ready for us to sing

I hope that they both had a fun birthday. We sure love having them in our family.

7 comments:

Deidre said...

Well I hope the money was a consolation for not calling! I feel like a jerk. And the soda must be a one year old thing...we have a similar problem when dining out.

Kimball Family said...

I cannot believe that Thomas turned seven. I still remember when we first met you in Ohio. You were still pregnant with him! My how time flies. I'm sure that he doesn't remember me, but you'll have to give him a big birthday hug for me anyway.

Nadia, I am always amazed at what a wonderful wife and mother you are. You are an inspiration to me without being annoying! :o)

I miss you.

Hayley said...

Happy Birthday Thomas AND Spense!!!! Glad to hear it was a good birthday for both of you! =) Perhaps I should of sent good old money instead of a giftcard for Thomas!? Liking your new dining room curtains btw xx

Jerilynn said...

It was fun to read your blog, thanks for finding mine. I can't believe Thomas is 7. Happy Birthday!

Eric and Rozanne said...

Spense didn't look too excited for his birthday picture...I think he was disappointed about the small cupcake. :) J/J I'm glad they had a good day. I have to admit that I felt comforted in some small way that you didn't make the "right" kind of muffins. It seems it is always happening that I try to do something nice for one of the kids and it wasn't the "right" thing or the "right" kind. One of my most famous lectures lately has been, "When someone does something nice for you..." I'm sure you know the rest. :)

Spenser Cammack said...

I was geeked, a year older, more gray hair, and almost halfway to making those SS checks!!!

Annie said...

It doesn't seem so long ago that that seven year old was coming to preschool! What a cute kid. Happy Birthday!