Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sand in the City


The kids weren't crazy about heading down to Sand in the City, but we made them go anyway! It didn't start off too great when we realized that it was a much warmer day than we had originally thought and Thomas was being baked alive in his jeans and long sleeved shirt. We decided to head back home and stopped on the way back for a little lunch.

We waled around the exhibits to see what they had on offer and then decided on what we wanted to do. Thomas was really the only person who was all that interested in doing anything. There was a team from St. Peter's hospital banadaging up arms, which he was imterested in, but I convinced him to climb the rock wall before hand. I thought that it would be easier to climb without a cast and the line was also super long.

Madagascar 3

Ice Age

The Lego Exhibit

We got in line for the rock wall climbing and Thomas made a good effort. I think that he was a little disappointed that he didn't make it all the way to the top, but he seemed to have a hard time getting a good footing. We then headed over to the casting stand only to find that they were closed (probably run out of supplies). Thomas was super upset and blamed me for not letting him do what he wanted to do. I tried to explain that I am unfortunately far from perfect and was just trying to do my best, but that didn't help my case. I definitely learned a lesson.

Getting geared up

Making the climb

We went over to the big sandbox for a while before we left. Olivia and Zach had a fun time digging around. Thomas wouldn't join in for a while, but he finally decided to get over his disappointment and enjoy the rest of the evening. 

Our sand creation wasn't quite as impressive

Finally digging in

The boy in the green shirt couldn't wait
for us to leave so he could smash our sandcastle

Someone was happy in the sand

While there were some moments of fun, I came home feeling a little disappointed that the day hadn't gone better. The event had been crowded and busy and the kids really weren't into it the way I had hoped they might have been. The jury is definitely out on whether we'll go down town next year. 

1 comment:

Susan said...

We missed it this year. I heard it wasn't quite as exciting as years past. We always enjoy seeing the sand sculptures though.